Tuesday 5 July 2016

7 Lessons EURO 2016 has taught me about life and success Pt 1



Am not usually one who pays attention to football or any other sporting activity. I tune to the sports channel when I have sort for sleep for a long time but it has refused to show up. Like a lullaby, it makes me snooze off into dreamland. But this time, because I had a bit of lazy time on my hand, I decided to give the Euro 2016 matches a bit of my attention. To my utmost surprise, I was able to learn a lot of life transforming lessons in addition to the thrill and pleasure it offered me.

First, I realized from football that success in any endeavor is a strategic triangulation of 3 factors. I like to call them the "Tripod of Success". Hierarchically they are;

·      Right Place
·      Right Opportunity
·      Right Skill

One who scores goals must first be in the right place, before he is circumvented with the right opportunity and then possess the right set of skills to take advantage of the opportunity.

Life is similar to the game of football, everyone has his own predestined place. It is only when you are located in that place that the opportunities that are tailored to your ability begin to drop on you. Everyone has predestined life allotments. These allotments are meant for you because they carry your name tag on them, but you have to go to your place to be able to access them. Your allocation is waiting at a particular location!

For example, no matter how boldly your name is printed on an airplane ticket, you are not availed the privilege of flying until you go to the airport. Opportunity only has an appointment with you at specific places.

Of the three factors mentioned, the factors of right placement and skill are dependent on you. You have the ultimate choice to position yourself in the right place and equip yourself with the right skill. Opportunity is like the wind. It has its seasons and it has its places for show up. You don't meet up with opportunity on your own terms, you meet up with opportunity on opportunities terms. Opportunity decides the time and place where she shows up. All you have to do is to be prepared and to be rightly placed.

Winston S. Churchill and Abraham Lincoln respectively have this to say about opportunity,

“To each there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing, unique to them and fitted to their talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds them unprepared or unqualified for that which could have been their finest hour.”

"I will study and get ready, Perhaps my chance will come".

Second, team performance is usually at peak when they are hosts of the game. There seems to be a kind of unusually energy that flows when they play in their home based stadiums. It seems like a team often feels confident and destined to win a game when they are at home. This trend is often referred to as "Home Advantage".

In life, everyone must find their place and play within. By place, I mean you must find and function within the place of your passion and calling. It's almost impossible to compete and win against a fish when you are swimming in its territory. Find what you love, and do it with all your might! When you do, you have home advantage because habitat is what fans the flames of potential.

PS: I am about 95% sure France would win the Euro Cup. Although, I may be wrong. lol 

........to be continued


No comments:

Post a Comment